Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July UFO Complete...Windy Hill Farm

"Windy Hill Farm," began with the bonus triangles leftover from "Lockridge Mill," my June UFO.  Thus, the pinwheel colors were already chosen for me (although, technically, by me, unbeknownst to me that I would be using them in this particular project...but that's neither here nor there).  So beginning with red pinwheel cornerstones, I pulled the peach sashing color out of my CW stash which was printed with the tiniest of red, blue and brown design (leading to blue 9-patches and the brown binding).  

The red/blue striped backing I picked up earlier this month at a LQS on sale (and used up every bit of it in the hanging sleeve)!  I chose to stitch out a swirly panto in light blue to get the windy feel as in the name of the quilt pattern!  "Windy Hill Farm" is yet another Prairie Women's project, also from Journey 3...more to come!!!  

Windy Hill Farm  
Prairie Women's Sewing Circle - Journey 3, Gathering 4
Pattern Designer:  Pam Buda, Heartspun Quilts
Panto Quilting Design:  Jessie's Swirls Simplified by Jessica Schick

Linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes12 Finishes in 2014Sew Darn Crafty, and Can I Get A Whoop, Whoop?  Go check 'em out!


Tuesday, July 01, 2014

July UFO Goal

Since work is not yet completed on my new basement Sewing Studio, I can't really find any of the projects on my UFO list tab above...They're all packed away somewhere!  Therefore, I need to work on what I can find and that is..."Windy Hill Farm"!
This one stretched the idea of UFO a little bit, as I actually began it last month.  But, it does need to get finished and hopefully my longarm will be set up and running in my new sewing studio by the end of the month so I can call this a July finish!
This project actually began with the bonus triangles leftover from "Lockridge Mill."  When I saw this project called for tiny pinwheel cornerstones, I just pulled those bonus triangles back out, sewed them up and trimmed them down to size!  Then I just had to whip up a bunch of 9-patches (all from my scrap bag) to fill in between those cornerstones!
"Windy Hill Farm" is another Prairie Women's project, also from Journey 3.  I need to go back and finish Journeys 1 & 2 as well, so you'll be seeing lots of post like these.  Smaller projects using yummy rich Civil War style fabrics!

Linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes.


Saturday, June 28, 2014

RSC14 - Yellow!

With all of the renovations still going on this month, and a new puppy (more on that later this week), I still can't say that I got too much accomplished.  I finally sat down tonight to work on my yellow on-point 4-patches for "4-Patch Revisited."  And while I was at it, I made some gold ones, too.  I don't think gold ever comes up in a rainbow challenge, lol, but if it does...this time I'll be ahead of the game!
I also got all of my yellow/gold lozenges done...but I put them away before remembering to take a picture, sorry!  Isn't it exciting to see piles of units growing...I only have 4 more color sets to put together for this quilt (red, orange, black and brown) and then I can begin piecing units together! It may be a finish before the end of the year...wouldn't that be great???
So what color will be chosen for July???  Any guesses?

Linking up with RSC14!


Friday, June 27, 2014

Beginning Gardening

The front of the house and the planting that was already established when we moved in...

This rose bush will be moved sometime in the near future so that I can define the lines of the flowerbed on this corner.  Plus, I have a better spot for it!
Just a few pictures of the newly planted gardens around the house.  The plants have been in for approximately 4 weeks now and doing well.

And...for Talma, a photo of a frequent visitor to our pond.  In think he might be a Heron?  Really, I don't know; I know nothing about birds, but I just recently started watching them, so maybe more photos to come...


Dufflebag Decor, Oh My!

When our contractors first began work on our house, I was still tearing down and putting away all of the materials from my old sewing room.  One of the guys kept teasing that he was gonna get me to make him a quilt with some of his dad's old Army gear.  Well, one day he brought me a dufflebag and asked if I could make a quilt with it.  Uh, no, I'm not putting that heavy thing on my longarm!!!
He really wanted something that he could give to his dad for Christmas, so I came up with the idea to make a couple of pillows using the canvas, camo print fabric and the original hardware from the bag and I think they came out pretty good.  I strategically placed the original handle on the top of one and the pullstrap (through grommets) on the other.  By, the way, I purposely made them a little bigger than the pillow form...I wanted them to have that slouchy duffle-"baggy" appearance!

I had them ready to go the week before Father's Day, so I asked if he might want to give it to his dad then and he came to pick them up.  I still had a bit of leftover canvas and the camo fabric, so I offered to make a remote holder for his dad, too, if it was something he thought that he could use.  Of course, he said "yes" or I probably wouldn't even be mentioning it...
This baby hold 6 remotes (3 on each side of the chair arm).  I added a piece of the strap to the top and a pen and notepad (or newspaper, or crossword book, etc) can slide right in.  And look at those grommets on the front!

Linking up with Sew Many Ways, Sew Darn Crafty this week!